California Governor Gavin Newsom issued an executive order on Friday, March 20, mandating that people shelter in place to avoid the further spread of COVID-19. The order applies to all California residents and requires them to stay home and avoid leaving it except for essential activities. It also requires non-essential businesses to close. Healthcare businesses are exempt from the order.
Our California facilities, which include CHAT Vistas, will remain in full operation and accept all patients and referrals 24/7, amid the COVID-19 pandemic. As noted by KRCR News, “The shelter-in-place order also does not apply to those going to work in an essential business or essential government functions, which includes health care operations and health workers.”
Vistas is taking all precautionary measures to keep our staff and patients safe by following the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines about how to protect against contracting the virus.
Here are some other ways to keep your health strong and keep stress at bay:
- Stay hydrated and eat healthy foods.
- When indoors, stay active. Many forms of exercise help mitigate stress and symptoms related to stress. Exercise also helps release endorphins, which can boost mood.
- Open the shades and let the sun in. Don’t sit at home in the dark.
- Get outside when you can. A “shelter-in-place” order does not mean you can’t take a walk around the neighborhood or walk your dog.
- Remember to keep 6 feet of distance from anyone else if in a business or in the general public.
- Open the windows and let fresh air into your home.
Some basic hygiene tips we all learned as children but must now practice diligently:
- Wash your hands vigorously with soap and water for 20 seconds or longer. Any bar or liquid soap will do. Hand sanitizer is hard to find.
- Wash commonly used surfaces like counters, cabinets, light switches, home appliance handles and doors with a household cleaner, and then use a disinfectant or a product with 70 percent alcohol on the surface. Examples are Lysol spray (and products like it), Windex, and other glass cleaners.
- Wear plastic or disposable gloves when using any cleaning product and be sure the room is well-ventilated.
What we learned from a related news story from KQED is that the “shelter-in-place” order could remain in effect for up to eight weeks. If so, residents can still go out and get food, pet supplies, money, and gas, as well as go to the doctor’s office when they have an appointment (as long as the office is open).
As one of the state’s luxury addiction treatment centers, we will maintain the same excellent care and recovery for which we are known. As the coronavirus continues to disrupt daily life, people with substance use disorders need help and support to make their way toward and maintain recovery.
Our clients and center staff are our No. 1 priority, and we will take every precaution mandated to ensure the safety and health for all.